From the monthly #DesignInTech Briefing’s “Two Unsolicited Non-Tech Products That I <3” regular section, this is a 2018 compendium of items I’ve featured there.
- Plywerk‘s bamboo-mounted photos are sturdy, simple and come in many sizes.
- Moo cards options keep getting better. As online printers go, they totally rock.
- 3M picture hanging strips use biomimicry cues from the gecko and bring alien wonder.
- Commercial Electric 4-ft LED shop lights are the affordable way to light a green screen.
- 3M Bumpon dots are the perfect way to subtly turn your sleek modern gadgets into ones that don’t fall off of the table.
- Regional Kit Kat bars from Japan teach design in Emmy Cho’s new series.
- Tea Forté is a tea experience that instills bemusement and taste-tea wonder.
- Shattell chocolate from Peru has the most distinctive cacao flavor I’ve ever experienced.
- Ito-en instant Matcha (Japanese tea) that doesn’t need a bamboo whisk.
- Atlas bars are high protein, low carb time savers — chocolate is my fav.
- Collecting coins in the year you were born is a fun thing to do as you age.
- In Detroit I discovered 20 Minute Candles as a way to gift time.
- Peel cases for smartphones add no weight or extra volume.
- The Midori Travelers Notebook from Japan has a luxurious and nostalgic feel.
- Black Panther is my 82-year old mother’s favorite Marvel movie — she rates it way higher than the recent Avengers film.
- Arrival as directed by Villeneuve can be enjoyed in any scenic order.
Happy holidays, and I hope someone out there enjoys one or more of the items above! —JM